[TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Apr 28 14:06:34 EDT 2015

On Tue,4/28/2015 10:00 AM, Tom Osborne wrote:
> I still think if you have room for a 105 foot antenna, it's way better
> to put it up as a dipole and feed it with twin lead.  There is nothing
> magical about a G5RV except on 20 meters.  On other bands it is just
> some wire that you force RF into with a tuner. I can do that with my
> 80 meter dipole on any band.

Threads tend to stray from the original question. Remember that the
original post in this discussion was from a ham who didn't have room for
a half-wave dipole on 40M, and the best advice he got was to fold the
ends down to fit it. He also wanted to cover other bands, so I added the
advice of building a fan dipole for those other bands.

73, Jim K9YC