[TowerTalk] Shorty Forty Hose Clamp thread

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Aug 11 14:00:46 EDT 2015

I use a nut driver when building an antenna, carefully installing each
section of tubing so that it sticks out the designed length. Then I go
back over them with a 1/4" socket wrench and tighten them a little more. I
use the highest quality, strongest clamp hose clamp that McMaster-Carr
sells and it has been years since I stripped one.  This is not something
that you want too loose for the reasons AA4NU mentioned below.  I like the
way hose clamps clamp the tubing around the whole circumference instead of
the small surface that is held by a rivet. For me it is also easier to
build by setting the tubing lengths and clamping.  I am not sure how I
accurately I could set tube length and drill it for a rivet without the
tubing moving. The down side to hose clamps is if your antenna is in a
corrosive environment the stainless steel band will cause the aluminum
tubing to corrode and expand.  Over time this will break the hose clamps.

John KK9A  aka P40A