[TowerTalk] Shorty Forty Hose Clamp thread

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Aug 13 08:42:21 EDT 2015

From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra at sasktel.net>
To: "'Billy Cox'" <aa4nu at comcast.net>
Cc: "'George Dubovsky'" <n4ua.va at gmail.com>, "'Robert Harmon'"
<k6uj at pacbell.net>, "'towertalk'" <towertalk at contesting.com>, "'Jim
Thomson'" <jim.thom at telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shorty Forty Hose Clamp thread

My problem with the torque method is so you torque the clamp to specs and
yet you can still turn the smaller element inside the larger.  So torquing
in this application in meaningless.  You tighten the clamp until the smaller
tubing does not turn, let it cycle overnight, check and retighten if
necessary.  My elements don't fall apart and my temperature swings are from
minus 40C to plus 35C.  Real world or simple method.

BTW this is what I e-mailed to Billy:
Still waiting for your reply.  You do have some answers don't you?

After not receiving a response to any of my questions, I managed to inspire
Billy to try and answer one, however with a condescending tone.

Doug

##  If you tq to their MAX  tq figures, the smaller tubing inside will not spin, even if
you slop penetrox on it.   Unless the yagi tips have to be adjustable, then maybe use
SS hose clamps for the tips only.   The rest of the yagi should be using  3 x rivets
at each joint.

Jim  VE7RF