[TowerTalk] Fwd: Static Discharge Porcupines?

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 11:47:56 EDT 2015

It appears to me that there are no ways to predict where the lightning will strike. Yes, you know that it will be somewhere below a the thunder storm passing by but the strikes seem to ignore high structures from not that high.

I once (don't remember from where. Probably Yahoo or U-tube or similar) saw a high speed video of the development of a lightning strike. You could see how a "network" developed coming from the cloud. It appeared as if a "rod" stretch out from the cloud, divided in two. Each of these, two branches divided in two and it continued until one branch hit an object. When this happened a lightning followed the branches up to the cloud. The first development was relatively "slow", a couple of mS. The heavy current strike was fast, so fast so you couldn't really tell what direction it went. It was fascinating.

(I have had three known strikes in my house. The first one burnt the house down. The second and third made marks in my lightning protection. The third also blowout all my surge protectors. The house is surrounded by 80 - 100 feet tall trees in all directions. Figures!)

Hans - N2JFS