[TowerTalk] Shorty Forty Hose Clamp thread

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Aug 13 13:30:08 EDT 2015

Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:47:44 +0000 (UTC)
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu at comcast.net>
To: Doug Renwick <ve5ra at sasktel.net>
Cc: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va at gmail.com>, Robert Harmon
<k6uj at pacbell.net>, towertalk <towertalk at contesting.com>, Jim Thomson
<jim.thom at telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shorty Forty Hose Clamp thread

Good Morning All,

Doug, once again you are not examining the total joint situation. We
will get to that in a moment as there are other variables to consider.

>From your past behavior, such as the "free climbing" discussion on this
same forum, you take the position you are 100% correct, and so therefore
everyone else is wrong. A review of the archives seems to confirm this.

##  IMO, anybody who engages in free climbing is a complete idiot these days.
Get caught free climbing at any telco /cell-site, and you are punted off the
job site..asap.   If  WCB finds out about it, huge fines are levied.

##  Now if you have a bunch of tic rings on a tower, its  tougher to install a
safety steel cable from top to bottom of the tower.

##  getting back to hose clamps, and also the use of counterbored tubing,
what else that works good is rivets on each side of the joint, like 3 on
north side, and 3 more on south side..180 degs apart.   Or rivets every 120 degs .
On my F12, 80m rotary dipole, at the huge 2 inch OD swedge, the 3 x rivets were already factory installed
on both halves,  but one halve  had all 3 x rivets loose.   So I went nuts and installed
rivets every 90 degs, 12 in all, end of problems.     Rivets work good since they suck from the
inside out.  3/16  rivets are a LOT stronger than 1/8.   And 1/4 rivets are stronger than  3/16.

##  Optibeam uses metric tubing...so unless they swedge each ele joint, I can see in that case, the
use of counter bored hole being used.   Counter boring just 1 hole at each joint is far more cost effective
vs swedging each joint.   As far as .058 tubing, I have never seen a sloppy fit yet when sliding
any two pieces together.   Even using several different makes of tubing.

##  2 x machine screws, at right angles, when using snug fitting tubing, like .058, and with nylocks,
is simple and super strong.

Jim   VE7RF