[TowerTalk] Binding tower

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Aug 17 00:42:37 EDT 2015

To expand on Bill's answer which is the most likely:  Was any other work
done besides the rotator?  I take it this is the original rotator, or
the replacement is the same make and model with no physical changes ?
If so, I'd be extra cautious about cables. Typically, If the rotator
cable ended up too short the extension of the tower would pull it apart,
unless the motor power is just enough to do its job under normal conditions.

Often, a cable will get pushed out-of-the-way while working on something
and overlooked when going back together, or tension can be released,
allowing the cable or cables to drop to the side allowing them to slide
over parts, effectively requiring a longer cable for full extension.

There aren't that many things that can limit full extension if no work
was done on the raising and lowering cables. Anything causing the
raising, or lowering cable(s) to be out-of-line would prevent full
extension.

When you reach the point of maximum extension, do any cables, (raising,
lowering, or electrical including limit switches) appear to be too
tight, or too loose?  Once retracted and tilted over, check all cables,
(raising, lowering, rotator, and limit switch cables for chafing,
breaks, or kinks.  Broken or chafed/scraped strands in the raising, or
lowering cables.

I'd be particularly suspicious of the rotator cable.  Did it get wrapped
around a cross brace to keep it out-of-the-way while working on the
rotator, removing, or reinstalling ?  (that's the kind of thing I'd do<:-)

You were going to unpin the one thrust bearing.  Did anything change
around that operation?

That's all I can think of at present, or at least until I hit [send]

73 es good luck!

Roger (K8RI)

On 8/16/2015 8:39 PM, Bill Aycock wrote:
> Mike-- Since this happened just after Rotor work, I would suspect  > that as the cause. Where is the Rotor with respect to the top? I >
would take a close look at the Rotor body for any scratches, etc. >
Bill--W4BSG > > -----Original Message----- From: Mike Reublin NF4L Sent:
Sunday, > August 16, 2015 5:44 PM To: towertalk reflector Subject: Re: >
[TowerTalk] Binding tower > > Anybody know a traveling tower mechanic?
73, Mike NF4L > > >> On Aug 15, 2015, at 6:13 AM, Mike Reublin NF4L
<nf4l at comcast.net> >> wrote: >> >> I had the HG-70HD down to replace the
rotor. When I put it back up, >> it binds about 3 feet from full
extension enough to stall the 24V >> wheelchair motor that drives a
Fulton #3000 winch. >> >> I can't see any hang up thru binocs.  When I
collapse it, and tilt >> it over, how do I find the jam, and how can I
repair it? I don't >> have enough room to extend it fully when it's
horizontal. >> >> 73, Mike NF4L >> >> >>