[TowerTalk] Crimping/swaging

Wilson infomet at embarqmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:52:28 EDT 2015

I can’t stand the price of Nicopress stuff, so I bought a tool from a farm supply place.
It was under $100 and works fine.
Sure, it’s Chinese, but it really crimps, hard to close all the way.
Of course I was suspicious, so I made some slings (aircraft cable) for use with my tractor.
I’ve subjected them to brutal jerking and pulling,and the single sleeve eyes have never moved a bit.
When I get my friends 2000 lb dynamometer, I’ll set up a controlled test to 4K lb and report.  I don’t expect failure.
YMMV, but I’m satisfied and would use it, with double sleeves, for 3/16 EHS.

Here are some examples:  http://www.e-rigging.com/hand-swagers

The bench type is a lot easier to use.  In fact, I usually use mine as if it were a bench type, by putting one handle on the bench or floor and pushing down on the other.  The sleeves are surprisingly expensive.  It’s crucial to get the correct material for your job.
WL