[TowerTalk] Guying a vertical...???

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Aug 28 17:36:13 EDT 2015

Dual braid, poly rope works well and I think you will find the 3/16ths
will be sufficient at two levels on the 54' mast.  Either should work.

I use a Lexan disk, or ring cut with two hole saws. (Do the larger
diameter first <:-) Then I drilled 3 holes at 120 deg large enough for
the rope. Contour and smooth the edges of the holes so they will not
abrade the rope.  The second row of photos gives a rather distant view
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm when it was
installed at the end of the shop.  I really don't have any good photos
of the ring.

I've used plain old Nylon for a phased array on 40.  The initial stretch
in the first 24 hours is substantial.  Some would say substantial is an
understatement. After a couple of days out in the elements and the
stretch is gone, but the Nylon rope no longer has that smooth, silky
feel.  All I can say is "it worked", but the dual braid Poly was not
available back then.

Currently I use 3/16ths to guy an AV-640 at roughly 3/4 its height.  The
AV-640 is mounted on a 24' Aluminum pole.  "They" tell me the AV-640 can
be put up without guys, but it's really flexible.  It will soon be
replaced with an AV-680 "I hope". The 680 is in the garage, ready to be
assembled.

I use 5/16ths up the 100' 45G through pulleys to raise the slopers on 75
and 40.

73

Roger  (K8RI)