[TowerTalk] T2X rotor for DB-36?

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Sat Aug 29 01:44:57 EDT 2015

Trees or not, I think I’d be leery of using a T2X for a DB-36.

The DB-36 is not a small nor light antenna, 160 pounds and a 26-foot turning radius equates to 4,160 foot-pounds on the rotator, about 1,000 foot-pounds more than the spex on the T2X suggest.

Can you get away with it? Hell, yes. Anything will turn anything. My CD-45 II will turn it.

But the question is for how long?

The T2X brake will hold it in place when it’s not turning, but the size and weight of the antenna will put significant stress on the gears during start cycles, irrespective of how much or how little wind the antenna sees.

We won’t even mention what is likely to happen if your finger slips off the brake release while 4,160 foot-pounds is still turning…

I remain to be convinced that anything made by the Mighty Fine Junk people is adequate for an antenna this heavy.

73, kelly
ve4xt