[TowerTalk] Help with saw blade selection

David Robbins k1ttt at arrl.net
Sun Aug 30 13:46:17 EDT 2015

Bolt cutters are a possibility, but have other problems.  Its usually hard
to nip a u-bolt at the center because you have to get it on the very tip and
the cutters stick straight out which makes them hard to hold a close
 so you
usually end up cutting in the gap which means everything gets cut twice
because of that hook effect after cutting the first side.  The ground crew
also has to be on their toes as cut pieces go flying more than with grinders
or saws.

Nut splitters are another option also.  I had one old telrex where I had to
cut the nuts because of those big straps they used around the boom and mast.

Actually my favorite with rusted or galled u-bolts is a long wrench to just
torque it till it breaks
 that is much quicker for ¼” or 5/16”, a bit harder
on 3/8” though.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net <http://wiki.k1ttt.net/>