[TowerTalk] Help with saw blade selection

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Aug 30 20:56:38 EDT 2015

I've used the plain old angle grinder with a thin blade.  3" is plenty
(but check for fit) and is my preference. The "cut off" wheels come
quite thin at 1/16th or 3/32nds.  I never measured the thickness, just
purchased the thinnest I could get.
I have an air powered "cut off tool" that uses a thin abrasive wheel and
is easy to handle with one hand "In the shop!)  I'd hate to haul up 100'
of 3/8ths in air hose up the tower, but it'd be great cutting U-bolts
off an antenna setting on sawhorses.

I think you will find the Ryobi with the oscillating blade to be a bit
awkward when the battery is attached but it should work with a fire
tooth blade on the order of 20 teeth per inch. It too would be easier
with the antenna on sawhorses.

A Skill saw with a metal cutting aggregate  blade sounds really
dangerous. Awkward, heavy to hold, and difficult to control with fine
movements to cut boom to mast clamp u-bolts without cutting into the
mast or boom.  If the blade grabs or breaks you not only have dangerous
pieces flying (wear a face shield with plenty of coverage, not just
goggle or safety glasses!). A hand saw with a broken blade is difficult
to hold with two hands when when you are working on the floor or a
bench.  When that saw suddenly wants to leave your hand, it becomes
almost impossible to relax your finger on the trigger.  That hand will
clamp as tight as it can reflexively just when you need control.  That
saw can do serious damage to equipment and you.

Almost all of us have violated safety rules, even in industry, but it
only takes once of things going bad for that to prove why the safety
rules are there..

The downside to all of these is being able to control the device careful
enough to cut the bolt or clamp without damaging the underlying metal.

Preferably cut the bolt close to the clamp where there is no underlying
metal right up against the bolt.  You can also cut the clamp or saddle
next to each bolt, but that is often a more difficult cut to make and
still may not clear the mast or boom.

73

Roger (K8RI)