[TowerTalk] weather station on tower?

Lew Sayre lew at dsl-only.net
Mon Aug 31 23:58:13 EDT 2015

I've had the Davis Vantage Pro II wireless for the past 3 years. Very
reliable and rf quiet. It Tx around 430Mz but I've never heard it or
recognized it on hf or vhf..
The anemometer is on top of the 6M tower at 180'  The speeds it reports
tracks pretty well with what the winds are at the Oregon coast, about 50
miles straight away. Its battery hasn't needed to be changed yet.  The rain
gauge, outside temp and humidity is just above  the outside wi-fi antenna
at 40' on a closer tower right next to the shack. Got 2 years out of that
battery. They use a little solar panel to charge the batteries.
   I do not report the values that I see unless they are way out on the
Bell curve in the course of normal conversation.
   I do recognize that conversations on TT about the care and feeding of
holding up a 2L 75M quad or how to deftly hide that 10KW pile smasher in
the xyl's garden may be more interesting but these weather stations do add
enjoyment to the radio environment.
   73 and I remain,
   Lew     w7ew