[TowerTalk] Can?t add egg insulator...

Herbert Schoenbohm herbert.schoenbohm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 09:49:45 EST 2015

I thought that you could safely put 30 feet of Rohn 25 un guy above a
good house or side building bracket.  That is what I use here for an
10/12/ and six meter tower but to get to 60' I have a set of Phillystran
guys at the rotor plate.  The house bracket is in to 2X6 and they are
back by a long 1 X4 .of treated lumber with over sized washers and nuts.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

On 12/14/2015 10:29 AM, Chuck Dietz wrote:
> And I would not hesitate to put up 30 feet of Rohn 25 with only one set of
> guys at the top.
>
> Chuck W5PR
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Chuck Dietz <w5prchuck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A couple of inverted V antennas could help the guying of a small roof top
>> tower too...
>>
>> Chuck W5PR
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Ed Sawyer <sawyered at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Stan, K5GO said "At risk of purists saying absolutely not, if I were going
>>> to put up just 30 feet of 25G tower and didn't have all the proper
>>> materials
>>> to insulate the guy wires and guy it as would normally be done, I wouldn't
>>> hesitate for a moment to put two levels on that small tower using 3/8"
>>> diameter polyester (Dacron) low stretch rope. The antenna will blow apart
>>> first eliminating a potential problem and rope doesn't rust."
>>>

>>> I would second Stan's suggestion for 2 reasons: 1) a spider beam is going
>>> collapse anyway under a really strong Hurricane wind and 2) whenever
>>> someone
>>> says "rooftop" tower, what they really are saying is "how strong are my
>>> anchor points anyway?".  This is all about the ability of the guy anchors
>>> support the pull of the tower in wind.  Rarely is any roof connection
>>> system
>>> up to the task.  By support with a strong rope, you kill many birds with
>>> one
>>> stone and you likely don't add any weakness vs the anchor points.
>>>

>>> I had a 60 ft tower of 25G support by 2 sets of rope guys for 5 years as
>>> my
>>> 160M vertical.  It was heavy rope and there was a plate under the tower.