[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Fwd: WTB Rohn 25G tower insulator

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 15 16:58:17 EST 2015

I have some white UHMWPE that was used as combo thrust and axial
bearings in side arm rotators, sections are over 1" thick.  All are
pretty badly crazed and not quite cracked thru after 7 years in the OR
"sun".  I didn't make these, so I don't know the grade or supplier of
the material but am cautious about the UV stability of UHMWPE as a
result.  I use black material where UV exposure is likely.  TIVAR info
on UHMWPE, many grades: http://www.bayplastics.co.uk/polyethylene.htm

Generally, natural UHMWPE is not considered to be UV stable.

I find it hard to machine to tolerance since it is so slippery and
gummy.   Very sharp, correct relief tooling is required.  Otherwise it
is a very useful material and cheap.

Grant KZ1W