[TowerTalk] Tower climbing lanyards

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Feb 3 09:23:00 EST 2015

Congrats on your record, Rodger.  Good on you!

I used to wonder why the industry wouldn't set a standard for a tall
keyhole shaped hole/slot to be placed several places on towers so that
safety lanyards terminated in what would look like a bolt with a large
head could be easily slipped into the slot and easily removed from a
slot by a gloved, injured, or cold stiffened hand. The vertical
dimension of the slot would preclude easily accidentally having the
device disengage.  Of course if you climb above it and tension the
lanyard it would come out.  This might be a feature not a fault.  Prior
to climbing too far past your upper lanyard you remove the lower lanyard
and reposition it to be the upper lanyard.  Likely the lower lanyard
will pull out before you pass the upper. you don't have to be able to
reach the lower device as a tug on the lanyard will clear it.

(Yes, it helps to be sober to follow the idea or employ it but it would
work fine for me.)

Patrick   NJ5G