[TowerTalk] Long shank U-Bolts

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Jan 3 16:09:17 EST 2015

On 1/3/2015 12:05 AM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
> On 1/1/2015 8:56 PM, Doug Renwick wrote:
>
> I realize not everyone has a mill, but they are relatively cheap on the
> used market. About 40 years ago, the company I worked for purchased 2 of
> the same model used that I have, but theirs were strictly mechanical

Does this kind of "big iron" still make sense for the home builder
now that lightweight CNC routers are available?  I see a lot of these
machines shown at Maker Faire's.  They are far more versatile than
a traditional mill because they can trace out any size or shape hole.
With conventional equipment, you go broke buying drill bits and milling
bits for each hole size.  The CNC also replaces a Rotex turret punch
with no punches to buy.  Until I retired I had access to a full machine
shop at work with antique Bridgeport mills, etc and these were very
tedious to make large quantities of parts on.  Errors were hard to
prevent too.

Rick N6RK