[TowerTalk] Tower Installtion Question

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 16 12:53:03 EST 2015

On 1/16/15 9:15 AM, Big Don wrote:
> Typical antenna survival ratings are way less - 402CD, 80mph -- 34XA,
> 100mph. Even if the tower is good for 130mph, the real hazard could well be
> the shrapnel from disintegrating antennas blowing around the neighborhood.
> That stuff blows all over while towers fall generally in one piece close to
> home. Apparently, the planning folks don't worry about that.

One would not want to wander down to the counter at the city and ask
this question<grin>

I assume it gets handled as the tower is a "structure" and the antenna
is something "on the structure".  It's like an inflatable santa claus on
your roof.

 From a safety standpoint, if *I* were a county engineer reviewing
applications, and we had agreed that "stuff" should withstand *X* miles
per hour, then I would ask that you list the antenna on your application.

And if you said "I'm putting up a tower with a 2 meter vertical on top"
and then later on you install a copy of W5UN's "mighty big array" to do
some moonbounce, I think you'll get in trouble.

There might be a "de minimus" exception for small things with low mass
and hazard.  (kind of like for free balloons.. FAA regs say that if it's
smaller than a certain size and weight, you don't need to do some stuff)