[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G tower permitting...

bcarling at cfl.rr.com bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 11:55:44 EST 2015

UPDATE and QUESTIONS

Thank you for the guidance and help you guys provided so far.

I have decided to switch to using some tower materials of known specifications rather than
the three 8 foot aluminum sections I had. (of unknown brand and characteristics.)

So this will now be a 29 foot Rohn 25G tower with the bottom 3 feet buried in a reinforced
concrete base.

I noticed that the Rohn specifications (PDF) only include calculations for 40 foot (or taller)
towers  using 25G sections. It's good that Rohn has something though.  They seem to meet
the 139 mph / 3 second gust requirement too. Perhaps we can adapt their calculations?

I plan to have a steel mast that extends about 4 feet out the top and has a WARC bands
Cushcraft 3 elemet 17m/12m yagi and a 3 element 6 meter yagi (Cushcraft)( all of which
have specifications.)

Is there anyone who can help me come up with engineering calculations and drawings that
will satisfy my local city permitting people?

I presume the task will be easaier  now that we have some known factors and characteristics
of the materials. My son is an architect and can do the drawings, and he knows a structiural
engineer who might possibly be willing to help with the calculations. Am I heading in the right
direction here?