[TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Fri Jan 30 00:15:36 EST 2015

Hi Fellow Towertalkers,

I'm considering putting "up" a Beverage antenna and have some questions regarding what I can do and not do to get it work good. I looked in to it and find the two-wire version being worthwhile.

How important is it that the two wires are side-by-side. Can one be on top of the other? The installation will be a lot easier if one can be on top of the other.

Do the wires have to be absolutely parallel?

Do the wires have to be on a straight line or do they have constant height above ground? The area I planning to put the antenna is not even but rather hilly.

Do the antenna have to be in a clear area or can it be surrounded by trees? How close can the trees be? Can I, maybe, use trees as support? I really don't want to cut too much trees to put this thing up.

What type of ground do I have to install in the far end? I guess a grounding rod is not enough.

Is there some phasing device available to make a steerable antenna by using two or three Beverage antennae together.? I think I saw or heard about something about this but don't remember.

Best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS