[TowerTalk] Fwd: Inductor Design and Voltage Breakdown

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Fri Jul 31 08:18:34 EDT 2015

Jim,

I assume you consider a single layer coil. In that case, 23 turns over 5.3", you get about .23" between each turn. A 10AWG wire, .101" diameter you have about .128" air gap between each wire, provided the turns are even. The voltage will be distributed roughly even between the turns (except at the ends) you will have about 72 V between each turn. I think that coil will do OK at 600 W. You can put a wire/cord between the turns when you wind the coil just to get an even distance between the turn and, maybe needless to say, put some paint/varnish/glue on the coil when you are finished just to make sure the wire doesn't move when you use the antenna.

Have fun and best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS