[TowerTalk] Fwd: Inductor Design and Voltage Breakdown

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 31 09:15:20 EDT 2015

On 7/31/15 5:18 AM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:

> Jim,
>

> I assume you consider a single layer coil. In that case, 23 turns
> over 5.3", you get about .23" between each turn. A 10AWG wire, .101"
> diameter you have about .128" air gap between each wire, provided the
> turns are even. The voltage will be distributed roughly even between
> the turns (except at the ends) you will have about 72 V between each
> turn. I think that coil will do OK at 600 W. You can put a wire/cord
> between the turns when you wind the coil just to get an even distance
> between the turn and, maybe needless to say, put some
> paint/varnish/glue on the coil when you are finished just to make
> sure the wire doesn't move when you use the antenna.

If the turn to turn voltage is less than the "minimum sparking voltage"
then it won't flashover, no matter how close the turns are.
for DC/50-60 Hz, that's 327V, so you'll have no problem.

For what it's worth, your turn/turn voltage is so low, you could use
almost anything as a form or spacer. I'd go for a "comb" type spacer if
you're worried about cooling.  At 3.5Amps, I wouldn't worry.

Why not close-wind with enameled wire?  The skin effect loss might be a
bit more because the turns are closer, but you'll need fewer turns, so
it might be a wash.  Bare wire in that size and short lengths is MUCH
easier to come by, though.

A quick run through Wheeler's equation says that a 3" diameter coil 2"
long with 18 turns (basically closewound) will be 21.8 uH
[L (mh) = (R^2 x N^2) / 9R + 10B]

BTW, with 3 amps, AWG16 would be just fine (as would AWG 20, for that
matter) from a thermal standpoint.  With AWG 16, you could get twice as
many turns in the same space.  1.3" diameter, 2" long, 36 turns is 19.8
uH.   Parasitic/Self C will be about 1.5 pF for this.

   -----Original Message----- From: Jim Brown