[TowerTalk] 90 degree coax bend atop a crankup tower

K7LXC--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Thu Jun 4 14:07:19 EDT 2015

>  Is there a preferred method of routing cables that doesn?t  involve a
sharp
bend like that? I?m imagining there?s quite a nasty impedance  bump going on
here, not to mention the potential for physical damage to the  dielectric in
the heat and cold, etc.

    There are a couple of schemes for a larger  bending radius - I think
Chris, KF7P has one. I've installed dozens of crank-ups  and guyed towers with
hundreds of feedlines with the same technique of just  dropping them over
the edge and I've experienced zero failures that I know of.

    The only coax I'd worry about are the ones with  foam cores - they can
cold flow over time and cause the aforementioned impedance  bump, perhaps
even failure in extreme instances.

>   If I?m going to spend hundreds of dollars in new  feedline, plus the
costs of having it installed (I cannot climb,  myself)

    Was there a problem with the existing feedlines or  are you just
replacing them because they're old? I'm a big proponent of "If it  ain't broke,
don't fix it". I don't want to discourage your from spending money  but maybe
this is a very discretionary project that has more  psychological benefit
than actual operational improvement.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188