[TowerTalk] Correction: Need documentation for Rohn HW (35G /Motorola tower)

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jun 9 23:40:57 EDT 2015

On Tue,6/9/2015 1:33 PM, Dan Cisson wrote:
> The "official name"of it from Rohn,,, was HW ...Made exclusely for
> Motorola in the 60's.. It is on a 15 inch face

Right.

> ,,, and should be treated as Rohn 25G...
> DO NOT treat it as 45,, it is not that strong.. the leg diameter and
> gauge is same as 25G  The zig zag bracing is same as 25G

I have 5 sections of it -- yes, HW is the right name, but it's often
called Rohn 35 because it's between 25 and 45. BUT -- I'm not so sure
that you're correct about the construction. It's been a while, but I
think I recall that the verticals and cross bracing a a bit more robust
than 25, but certainly less than 45. The wider leg spacing makes it more
robust than 25. It's quite stout stuff -- I have 5 sections of it, 4 ft
of the bottom section in the pour, with 12 ft of an 20 ft mast sticking
out above it holding a 3-el 20 and a 4-el 15. My tower guy climbs a lot
of towers, and after hanging both antennas, told me it doesn't need to
be guyed. There's nothing it could hit if it fell, and there's a lot of
concrete, so I took his advice. )  He says, BTW, that the wider leg
spacing makes it a lot more fun to climb.

73, Jim K9YC