[TowerTalk] Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?

Tom Cox tomcox at iquest.net
Wed Mar 4 22:53:06 EST 2015

I keep seeing ads for self-supporting aluminum
towers that are so light that one person can "walk
up" a 40-footer with a hinged base. Of course,
walking one DOWN might be more interesting, unless
one has ropes, blocks, and a team. Can walking one
up really be done, even with light, VHF-UHF
verticals and/or TV antennas? It just seems a
tower light enough to walk up can't be strong
enough to STAY up.

I can't afford a motorized tilt-over or
telescoping crank-up, unless it's used, and even
then, it's unlikely, on my retirement income. All
I want to tackle is 30 to 40 feet. Should I forget
about a tower altogether, or buy a section of Rohn
25 a month, or... what?

73,
Tom, KT9OM,
NW Middle TN