[TowerTalk] Water in Conduit...

TexasRF--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Thu Mar 5 13:36:53 EST 2015

Hi Patrick, there is this thing called condensation that lets water
droplets form and collect over time. When buried, most of  the conduit will  be at
a constant enough temperature that condensation can't happen.

But, the first few feet on both ends are above ground and can have enough
temperature drop from warm days to cool nights to condense some droplets of
water. With no way to drain, they will collect and only evaporation can
remove  the collected water.

Seeing no evidence of water ingress does not mean that it does not happen
as it could have been there and has now evaporated.

In North Texas, the Summer and Fall are the primary times that condensation
 happens. This is evidenced by the presence of dew in the mornings. If
there are  dew drops on your patio table, you can bet there are also dew drops
in the ends  of your conduit.

This is the same scenario that allows water ingress into Heliax cables with
 a hollow center conductors. Air inside the center conductor condenses
water  droplets that can leak by the center pin and collect inside the connector
 cavity. In this case you can seal the center pin with teflon plumbers tape
to  keep the water inside the center conductor.

This is not an option with cables in a conduit so we have the various fixes
 we are discussing here.

Seems there is no "perfect" solution.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/5/2015 9:22:05 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,