[TowerTalk] Boom material.

Lee L at w0vt.us
Mon May 25 01:22:48 EDT 2015

I have been contemplating building a Moxon Yagi 40 meter beam for a long
time and I need to get started with the project.  The bottom line is I
need a strong boom 30 foot long.  I'll use a boom truss but am thinking
of aluminum around 3 inches in diameter and maybe 1/4 inch wall
thickness.  I realize this won't be cheap.  Maybe this is not even
strong enough for a 2 element beam.  I live near Houston, so I am
thinking maybe an aluminum provider might be able to sell it to me in
one piece.  (Trying to figure out how to connect affordable 6 foot
shippable pieces has kept me stumped from starting the project up until
now.)

I'd sure appreciate hearing suggestions on how to get the job done. I'm
not trying to do this on the cheap but the best reasonably affordable
way to do it.  I'm thinking the cost of a boom like this might be in the
$300 to $400 range.  (I don't mind splices, but where to get large
telescoping tubing?  I wrote DX Engineering and they discouraged me from
using their tubing as they said it was not intended for booms even
though I wanted to beef it up with sleeves).  Boom diameter is a factor
because cast boom to element clamps don't come in every size.  (I have
purchased heavy duty aluminum channel stock for boom to element
connections to be used with aluminum cast U-clamps.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Lee, w0vt
Houston, Texas