[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Sealing Ends of Phillystran HPTG-1200

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon May 25 11:41:03 EDT 2015

Water per se doesn't affect the Kevlar very much.  For instance, Kevlar
lines are used for mooring offshore oil rigs.
http://www.ultramarine.com/hdesk/document/kevlar.htm

Perhaps the concern is more what happens if trapped water freezes inside
the Philly sheath, so it makes some sense to seal the ends. Kevlar is
sensitive to UV, is not very abrasion resistant, and is subject to
fatigue so running it over pulleys drastically shortens its life.
Keeping the sheath intact is very important on Philly guys.

Grant KZ1W