[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: sealing PL259's

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu May 28 20:30:53 EDT 2015

I would suggest, "Don't do it!" Whether the compound uses the acetic
acid, or a non acetic curing agent, these are water proof. They are not
moisture proof.  I've seen them used for years with no problems and I've
seen them fail in less than a year.  Silicone greases are a much better
choice. I worked for the company that developed these compounds and
greases for many years.  (over 33 years by the time I retired)

If you can find it, DC-4, or DC-5 compounds (Silicone grease) is ideal
for flooding connectors.  I'd stay away from anything that cures.  There
is no need and it can make the connectors a Bit...ch to get apart.  Most
any "non conductive" Silicone grease is great and should be available at
most automotive stores. Just don't try to get tape to stick on anything
with Silicones on the surface.Unlike hydrocarbon based greases, it's non
conductive even if it breaks down.  (there is no carbon in it, When it
breaks down you normally get SiO2 (Quartz powder, or chunks)

I once saw some commercial circuits potted in plastic cases.  It
completely dissolved/corroded the runs on the PC boards.

NOTE DC-4 and 5 compounds were developed for use in WWII to keep the
spark plugs in B17s and B24s from arcing over at altitude.

HOWEVER there are side effects to flooding connectors.  It allows for
pressure changes between the inside and atmosphere with both temperature
and atmospheric pressure changes.  This can cause the grease to flow, or
moisture to "wick",  Even the aquarium seal is not moisture proof.  It
uses the moisture in the air as a catalyst for curing.  It can allow
moisture migration and condensation.

OTOH I've seen plain old UHF connectors, screwed on over the braid of
RG-8 folded back, out in the weather with no waterproofing, or even tape
and it had been out there for years!  I've seen the same type of
connections covered with house paint.  They had been in use for decades
(how many, I don't know, but the hams using them had no complaints.  How
much of the power going into the coax was actually getting to the
antenna and being radiated as desired? Who knows?  But again, like many
hams using big, expensive, poor performing antennas, they made contacts
as desired and were apparently satisfied.

As a new ham using a light bulb for a dummy load, I worked some DX.
Surprised? Certainly. Satisfied? Certainly not!

Ideal band conditions made up for a less than ideal dummy load.

Filling the connector and then sealing it with tape should really slow
the curing process.  <:-))

  73,

Roger (K8RI)