[TowerTalk] Used Harnesses

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Nov 21 00:28:52 EST 2015

My comments and opinions only!

First comment:  No, mine is not for sale!  Wayyy too much liability and
I do have a conscience.

Second comment:  I can certainly understand the desire and need for an
inexpensive climbing harness.  In many countries with import duties and
VAT they can cost double, or more, than here in the states.  Better hope
we don't lose the dollar as the international standard!

I have a very good harness. It's the kind with padded straps you can sit
in, complete with fall arrest gear, fairly expensive, BUT, way out of
certification. It looks like new and were I still climbing, I'd not
hesitate to use it.

OTOH: Even if a person is willing to sell a used harness in good shape,
In many, if not most cases it is difficult, if not impossible for the
purchaser to sign his, or her rights away and they can not sign their
heirs rights away.  So, unless the present owner is worth little
financially there is the potential to lose everything you have.  I have
never heard of it happening, but I'd not risk it in today's sue-happy
society.

For the purchaser, insurance might be an issue.  I don't know what it's
like in other countries, but here in the US, getting hurt with used,
out-of-certification safety gear might invalidate your insurance.

It's a catch 22.  People who need good safety gear, but find it's either
unavailable, or out of their ability to pay range, have few choices, all
of which could have undesirable consequences.  The best solution where
new is either unavailable, or unaffordable is to get a used harness in
good shape, if one can be found and IF the risks are understood.  Which
is worse?  Going with out, or going with used and inspected equipment?
Saying we'd never purchase used safety equipment may not be an option
for some (or many).

Used and out-of-certification is very risky from both a safety and
insurance standpoint.  These harnesses are made of synthetic materials
which As Far As I Know (AFAIK) slowly loses strength. IOW, It can still
look like new yet be a fragile safety hazard. With some limitations, "I
believe" some equipment can be inspected and re-certified. (Unlikely to
be inexpensive) Then, there is how insurance companies look at the use
of  used and out-of-certification equipment. The injury may not have
been caused by the equipment. It may have even been limited by the
equipment, but they point out the person was willing to risk their life
on old, used equipment.  45 years ago, they weren't looking for excuses
to get out of paying.

I have am old, padded, free floating, leather plus mono-filament Klien
safety belt with pole strap, from when they were considered the ultimate
in safety equipment which would make it over 45 years old.  A time when
you could loan safety equipment after making sure the recipient knew how
to use it.  I'd still trust it, but now we know the harness is much
safer and more desirable even if that belt will (has) out last(ed) 3
synthetic harnesses.

At present I can say that I would never, ever, buy, or use one of the
used nylon safety belts that often show up at swaps.  When I was a tech,
the company would destroy all Nylon safety belts and harnesses, then
replace them with new, every year!  Yes, the belts were required in many
operations (saw a lot of use) in a hostile environment  (Semiconductor
chemical plant). Beyond horrendous liability, they had OSHA and MIOSHA
to contend with.  (huge fines for non compliance)

I have well over $500 (probably > $1000) in safety equipment that I can
no longer use.  It will be destroyed when I check out even if it would
be safe to use.  Seems like a real waste, if it could be certified.  We
talk down to the use of climbing belts, but they were considered
necessary for years.   What's better? An old Nylon harness, or a good
climbing belt?  It's easy to make decisions when it's readily available
and the cost of safety gear is close to reasonable / affordable.  Not so
easy when the choices are poor and none.

BTW I do know of one serious injury that was likely caused by using good
safety equipment.  He was dismantling a tower. 25G I think.  With 30
feet left, it broke over at the base.  (no temp, or inadequate guys) He
couldn't get free from the tower before it hit the ground.  Could he
have gotten free and avoided major injuries that will plague him the
rest of his life?  It's any one's guess.   I've fallen that far, once
with only a broken arm. Once with no serious injuries, or even bruises,
just knocked the wind out of me. OTOH it sure was difficult to breathe
for a while.  At first I couldn't breathe at all. About the time I was
on my way out, a small breath came in.  I woke, breathing fine. My chest
ached for 10 or 15 minutes and that was it.  No, it was not off a tower.

73

Roger  (K8RI)