[TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Oct 6 05:02:25 EDT 2015

Just my thoughts:

Seems like I saw slopers mentioned.  I have several center fed, half
wave slopers  on about a 45 degree angle for 75 and 40.  On 40 they are
just OK state side, but work well for DX.  I'd not recommend them for
state side unless you have enough to switch into for direction and
distance.  For close in, broad side, or even 180 degrees might be
preferable for close in, although IIRC they aren't a ball of fire off
the back side

I'm in Southern MI about 25 MI W of the S end of Saginaw Bay, so I'm
thinking we probably have similar propagation, although for state side
contacts, it's pretty much 090 to 330.   From 90 to around 135 is pretty
much short hop, or roughly 130 to roughly 5oo miles the rest is from
roughly 120 to about 2500 miles  As I have one sq acre antennas favoring
distances and direction are limited and definitely a compromise.

If I were serious about omni state side I'd probably go for a pair of
inverted V fans at 70 to 80 feet at right angles to each other, but I
don't think you have that height as an option.  It's a compromise, but I
have the tower although the antenna anchored in the front yard would be
definitely temporary.  Getting fan slopers would allow switching to
which ever favored the direction and distance, but you'd need at least
three of them, if not 4 and that's a lot of wire and feed lines.  It's
unlikely you'll get full use of 75 or 40 without a tuner.

73 es good luck,

Roger (K8RI)