[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Phillystran

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 21 23:35:58 EDT 2015

I strongly advise against saddle clamps.  The problem is creep of the
plastic jacket causes the clamp force to decay with time.  Until the
clamp completely cuts through the jacket the clamp force decays.  At
room temperature it took about 3 weeks and at least 4 tightenings to get
the saddle to cut through the jacket.  I used a torque wrench to set the
tightening force and measured the residual torque at a late time each
cycle.  I built a tension tester and verified saddle terminations will
slip well below the breaking strength of the Philly.  Even after 121
days and 4 tightening cycles the saddle clamp torque values indicated
continuing creep and reduced termination strength.  I was unable to
achieve more than 30% of the break strength of the Philly.  (25000#
Philly and 7000# load for slippage).

Later I tested the proper terminations for this Philly (Spelter sockets
with epoxy) on a commercial 100,000# tension test stand  and the guy
failed at 28000# tension and not the termination. See NCJ Nov-Dec 2014
for my article.

I've seen bent booms as a result of using saddle clamps.  I also found
them loose on my steppIR 4L after a year on the 1200 size so will never
use it again.

Phillystran says use grips on all 2100 and larger.  Follow the directions!

Grant KZ1W