[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Phillystran

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Oct 22 03:26:12 EDT 2015

This should not be a factor where the Phillystran is used as a truss at
a fraction of its strength.  As guy lines the standard "Big Grip is
recommended.  They haven't used Spelter sockets and epoxy for some
years  even on the larger 6,000# cable.

For a truss 3 saddle clamps are used with the saddle on the live side
(never saddle a dead horse) so creep has never been a problem when used
on a truss.  The Big Grips (Recommended by Phillystran and sold by
vendors) grip entirely on the jacket, but it's over about 18" or more.
If you wrote a recent article recommending Spelter sockets, it is not
what the manufacturer recommends, hence they have not been the proper
method of termination for a number of years.  I don't know when they
changed, but it was Big Grips in 2002, or 13 years ago when I installed
my 45G using Phillystran's recommendations.  I didn't find any sellers
of Phillystran even offering Spelter sockets.

Follow the "Prime Directive"

73

Roger (K8RI)