[TowerTalk] Laws of Physics Repealed!

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Oct 24 11:12:57 EDT 2015

On 10/24/2015 9:49 AM, Daniel Danny Horvat wrote:
> Verticals, R5/R7 R6000 R8 and also clones AV620, AV640 are IMO better
> than 43 foot verticals or even worse CHA250 and clone verticals.
> There are number of people having 300 plus DXCC countries done with
> these verticals and they found them great for small and no radial
> fieldantennas.

Absolutely!  I've been using nothing but an R5, R7 or R6000 and low
dipoles (N6BT Q51 at 20' for 20-10 and trapped 160/80/40 inverted V
at 40') ever since moving to Florida.  The last two years I was #2
in the world in CQ's DX Marathon - "100W, basic antennas" class and
have made DXCC Honor Roll (Mixed and CW).

Sure - a good Yagi high in the air would be better (anyone know of a
used HDX-555MDPL or HDX-572MDPL available at a reasonable price?) but
given the low visual profile and ease of installation, the R5, R7,
R6000, R7000, and R8 are hard to beat.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV