[TowerTalk] weather station on tower?

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Sep 1 07:46:22 EDT 2015

I too have the wireless Davis unit with all the options mentioned by
Larry below.  All options except bird spikes and funnel filter as my
unit is about 10 years old predating those improvements.  I am very
satisfied with its function and never heard it on any radio.  I will be
relocating it to a tower or other elevated location (favoring a tower)
as a couple of my cows once ate the interconnecting wiring between the
anemometer and main unit.  This during a brief period when the
surrounding protective electric fence was powered down.

I expect to mount an arm at least 3 ft long horizontal from the tower on
which to mount the Davis to get a more accurate wind direction and speed
with less turbulence interference from the tower.  As the tower in
question is a tilt over with hinge 8 ft above ground I can tilt the
tower to service the Davis as if it were an antenna.  Birds like to
perch on the rim of the rain gauge funnel and their deposits tend to
plug the funnel.  Thanks for  the info Larrry re the bird spike and
filter upgrade.  I will look into those upgrades re their
retrofitability and separate purchase availability.

Patrick        NJ5G