[TowerTalk] Rhn 45 bolts

Jeff DePolo jd0 at broadsci.com
Thu Sep 3 15:30:01 EDT 2015

> If they are "real" Rohn  bolt kits they have lock nuts. No
> washers required. If you look at the nuts, one side will have
> 3 little indentations on the face of the nut.

I've noticed quite a bit of variation in Rohn bolt kits over the last few
decades.  I've seen hot-dip galvanized with tri-loc nuts or other
distorted-thread locknuts such as what you describe.  I've seen regular
zinc-plated hardware, which as I recall, was fine pitch thread (probably 28
TPI for 1/4" and 24 TPI for 5/16").  I've seen hot-dip galvanized with
pin-lock nuts (aka Anco nuts).  I'm pretty sure I've also seen hot-dip bolts
and nuts plus a pal nut.  I've never seen stainless (nor would I expect to).

Some bolts had most of the shank un-threaded (the plated ones come to mind),
and others with threads started somewhere around half-way down the shank.

Unless they've changed recently, there are two different bolt diameters for
25G - 1/4" and 5/16".

I don't know which is the most-current version or style, but I do know that
the last few 25G sections I bought (probably over 5 years ago at this point)
came with plated hardware, not hot-dip.  As usual, YMMV, and a call to Rohn
to see what they are currently sourcing (or recommending) might be in order.

				--- Jeff WN3A

---