[TowerTalk] Rhn 45 bolts

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Sep 3 18:05:03 EDT 2015

Over my 54 years as a ham, I've put up a few 25 and 45G towers, for
myself and others.
Over that period, the hardware has evolved.  ROHN even made a "Dirt
Base" for the 20 and 25G.  I don't know when that was discontinued, but
they worked very well. Insurance and lawyers probably had a hand in that.

The first thing to do is ASK ROHN rather than go for a bunch of opinions
on a news group.  Their hardware has changed over the years.

Bolt and nut sizes have remained standard for the 25G and for the 45F as
far as I know, but they are not interchangeable.  What has changed are
the nuts and washers. My current 45G used a stamped, lock nut on top of
the regular nut.  You may find a regular washer, a lock washer, the
stamped lock nut. All galvanized.  As far as I know (AFAIK) galvanized
bolts are "ungraded" .  There are grade 8, 5, and ungraded, in that
order strong to less strong
That is not a blank check to use and hardware store bolt.

Another change is not cleaning the excess galvanizing from the bolt
holes with the admonishment to never drill out the holes, or screw the
bolt through the galvanizing.  Use a "taper pin punch". It's doubtful if
any hams are familiar with the Iron worker's wrench/alignment tool for
which I can never remember the name just like those stamped, dish shaped
lock nuts.

I found it necessary to fit the sections together, then align them with
a punch inserted in the small bolt hole.  I had to drive the punch in
from both sides to open both holes with out over sizing one.

I've never found it necessary to assemble the entire tower on the ground.

73

Roger (K8RI)