[TowerTalk] [WARNING: A/V UNSCANNABLE]Teflon 50-ohm coax

mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 11 14:48:45 EDT 2015

Re RG400.  I use that for most of my jumpers and patch cords these days.  A local electronic supply store stocks a generic version by the foot, and they also stock the correctly sized ferrules that allow me to crimp on RG58 style connectors with my RG58 crimp dies.

It’s a nice product and I began using several years ago it in another hobby where the extra shielding was important, I subsequently began using it in the ham shack as well.   FWIW I run it routinely at over 300 watts on 144 Mhz with no issues.)  For short patch cords the extra cost of the cable is not a huge issue for me when I consider the cost for the connectors and my time to crimp them on and the power handling is a plus for me at VHF and up.

I’ve also been able to purchased pre manufactured patch cords via various on line dealers for reasonable prices, but for ham use I make my own with UHF and N connectors.

It is worth noting that the jacket can be a bit more fragile in my experience that certain other cables but for patch cord use that has presented any issues for me.

Your mileage may vary.

Regards Mark S
VE7AFZ