[TowerTalk] Please critique my plan for installing this tower

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 18 15:11:14 EDT 2016

Is it worth it to rebuild?  Consider:

HRO price for new HDX572MPDL  $10k, tax $?, shipping for 1600#, about $1
per mile, so rebuilding can make a LOT of sense if the tower is
structurally sound.

The details:

Hot dip re-galvanizing 1300# (without hoist motor/winch/cables) $715
plus tax if you can provide the transport to/from galvanizer

Painting alternative:  maybe $150 of paint+supplies plus lots of your labor

New cables: $400 for wire, thimbles, and crimping done professionally at
a rigging shop.

New anchor bolts $300 (they come with new).

So a "first class" new galvanizing rebuild ready to go into a new
foundation:  maybe $2k if you have to rent a trailer for the galvanizing
vs maybe $13k for new.  Plus the used tower cost, I've paid $500 for a
LM354 used, $800 for LM470,  an HDX570 maybe $1k more?  One I missed was
a HDX589 for $2k.  So the difference in cost for a "like new-used"
HDX572 = $3.8k vs 13k.

Then all the great "free stuff" = antennas, rotators, cables, etc.
thrown in by the prior owner to get rid of it, makes for some very good
deals.

Plus the fun and sometimes excitement of rebuilding as I have done with
friends.

73,

Grant KZ1W