[TowerTalk] Please critique my plan for installing this tower and lighting protection

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Apr 18 18:41:37 EDT 2016

Just a few comments from a non-expert:

CMU blocks, or portions thereof, can be used to support your rebar cage
off the ground.  In my case, I pre-embedded pieces of angle iron in one
cell of a CMU block, and clamped my rebar cage to the angle iron.  I
drove another section of angle iron through the other cell into the
ground, and then filled that cell with concrete to secure it in place.
See http://ab7e.com/AB7E_Tower_Page_4.html for details.

Paint on the rebar cage is a really bad idea and totally defeats the
purpose of a Ufer ground.  You WANT the rebar to contact the concrete,
which itself is conductive when damp (which it will almost always be) so
that it distributes currents over a larger area and volume.  Besides,
the alkalinity of concrete inhibits rusting ... you will almost never
see rebar totally encased in concrete have substantial rust even after
decades.

I can possibly understand the tower manufacturer not wanting the bolts
be the primary current path to the Ufer cage (although I'd bet those
bolts could handle a lot more current than the tower legs themselves),
but you definitely need to connect your tower to the rebar cage.  In
most jurisdictions it would be a code violation not to.

Silver soldered connections for lighting protection is also a horrible
idea.  The solder joint will have the highest volumetric resistance by
far and it will blow apart under a high current load. The best
connections are exothermic (Cadweld, etc), but a really good mechanical
connection is good if you can keep it from corroding.  I could see
silver soldering a properly clamped mechanical connection to protect it,
but never rely on the solder to conduct the current.

If possible, ground the shields of your coax at BOTH the top and bottom
of your tower.  Lighting is low frequency RF (low megaHertz region), and
a wire grounded at one end can still pick up considerable radiated
energy an appreciable portion of a wavelength further away.

Good luck with your project!

Dave, AB7E