[TowerTalk] 300' of line

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Aug 5 13:14:02 EDT 2016

On Fri,8/5/2016 9:15 AM, Bill Cotter wrote:
> Look for "tag-ends" (end of reel) of PVC coated aluminum hardline from
> the cable TV installers. Uncovered aluminum is also good stuff, but
> needs to be kept off the ground.
>
> I have received thousands of feet of 1/2" and 7/8" for free to haul it
> away. The best time to find it is when installers are replacing the
> old lines, or putting in new stuff. 75-ohm line works great for
> antennas that are far away from the shack.

Excellent advice, Bill. I inherited a big spool of 1/2-in hardline from
N6RZ's estate -- I was told to "haul it away." I'm using it for long
runs to 50-ohm monoband antennas for 20, 15, and 10M.

When used with 50 ohm antennas, it's best used in whole-number multiples
of a half wavelength at the operating frequency. The good news with that
is that because many of our bands are harmonically related, there are
physical lengths that satisfy that requirement for a tri-bander that
covers the 20, 15, and 10M bands.

And many hams forget that a high dipole is a lot closer to 75 ohms than
50 ohms, so 75 ohm coax is a better match.

73, Jim K9YC