[TowerTalk] Stacking question

n1rr at comcast.net n1rr at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 12:52:30 EDT 2016

The "optimum" stacking distance is related to gain.
Higher gain antenna require more spacing to prevent the wavefronts from cancelling.
K1EA suggested back in the 90's to space HF monobanders by approx. 1.5 x BOOMLENGTH

There's a lot of diagrams in VHF/UHF discussions about using more than one band on a single
mast that can help you visualize the idea of these wavefronts & pattern interactions.

HFTA applies optical ray tracing techniques and your input of a single line of your terrain from
the base of your tower out to several miles beyond it to predict the sums and differences of
all the rays from all your same-band phased / stacked antennas into a display of resulting
far-field antenna gain in 1/2 or 1/4 degree increments.

>From these plots you'll be able to identify nulls or peaks which will be inherited from your terrain
into your antennas' performance. You'll be able to use this as a tool to evaluate a tower location
choice by band and by the direction for which you've provided the terrain data.

Yes, the antenna system's pattern and gain will change as you vary the spacing. For each
antenna design there will be a spacing that results in the peak forward gain, another will give
peak FB, and other spacings for other criteria.

The real guessing game comes when you try to tie propagation to all the above "averaged" data
(i.e. Terrain plots from 20degs to 65degs averaged over 6 bands blah-blah & 200 hrs later....)
that you've gathered to optimize your choices. Will next month's propagation be better for the
two long boom yagis or the 4-stack of mid-sized yagis ? Do I have to move that stack up or down
next season ?

K2TR tells a story from the W2PV days about one weekend on 10M or 15M when the best
antenna all weekend was a simple 70 or 80 foot high 2-stack small of yagis. And we've all
experienced or read about a given weekends conditions which were described as a "high_
antenna_weekend".

"You can never have enough antennas." is the old saying..... I believe that and that flexibility
& enough of the right antennas can get you closer to achieving the performance you wish for.
With time your on-air experience will lead you to modify your beliefs as to what is needed.
-Charlie N1RR