[TowerTalk] Array Stacking for vertical patterns

HankP pfizenmayer at q.com
Thu Aug 11 16:43:51 EDT 2016

I suspect the super station guys have already seen these and or considered it but here tis.
I am no longer an IEEE member and do not have the IEEE papers. Brueckmann was also
the father of the big fat fiberglas center fed vertical you saw on all the military VHF 30-76 mhz
stuff for years (maybe even yet today - they look much the same) We reduced that to practice
at AVCO , Evendale ,O. I knew I was getting damn old when I saw one of the earliest versions
we did mounted on a Jeep in a Military Museum in about 1985 ! .

Here is a link to a paper on an HF array scanning in elevation.

tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1605.pdf

I have always kind of wondered if a version of this sort of thing would not be better than stacked yagis
since signal strength variations versus vertical angle of arraival seems to often be much greater than
the yagi gains .

And another array called ISCAN which I did the individual elements to their specs but had nothing
to do with design and execution of the full array while at AVCO in late 50s and early 1960s.

My recollection was it generated 24 vertical elevation patterns - and the array was a sparse matrix of
center fed verticals about a mile long in a salt marsh up east Md as I recall - and they had a hell of
a time with wild hogs tearing up the 75 ohm foamflex feeders .

I did get to watch videos of it in action once and it was amazing to watch signals from Germany on
freqs close to 20 meters and see optimum angle of arrival change in 200 milliseconds in mid day .

Hank K7HP

HF propagation test of ISCAN

H. Brueckmann ; R. Silberstein
IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation
Year: 1963 , Volume: 11 , Issue: 4
Page s : 454 - 458 , DOI: 10.1109/TAP.1963.1138068
IEEE Journals & Magazines

    • Abstract
    • (464 Kb)

ISCAN - Inertialess steerable communication antenna

H. Brueckmann ; J. Gruber ; C. Bramble 1958 IRE International Convention Record
Year: 1962 , Volume: 10
Page s : 152 - 163 , DOI: 10.1109/IRECON.1962.1147021
Cited by: Papers (4) IEEE Conference Publications