[TowerTalk] Prosistel rotators (was control box problem)

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Aug 16 00:10:56 EDT 2016

On 8/15/2016 Monday 11:06 AM, Steve NR4M wrote:
<snip>

> Long story shorter, I poured water out of the gearbox.  When I finally
> got it apart, the tapered bearing at the far end of the worm gear was
> so corroded and frozen, the bearing cage fell apart during
> disassembley.    The bearing on the motor end of the worm gear was
> intact but frozen in place.  Both of the larger bearings on either
> side of the wheel gear, would move, but only with considerable
> effort.  And, was only rough, grinding movement at best.
> This whole assembly could not have been any more corroded if it had
> been stored in a bucket of water.  Encrustations everywhere!

I found no liquid water, but the photos in the link from my previous
post show bearings like you are describing.  The rotator had frozen due
to rust and the bearing cage falling apart also shown.  I did include
some cautions on changing the pot. Mine was still good and N8FUZ cleaned
up the output shaft  in a lathe and I used under size seals

> My gut feeling is that the seals never, ever actually contacted the
> shaft.   And, this is on top of the fact that there is a large disc on
> top of the assembly, that acted as a water shield, or 'umbrella'.
Mine made good contact until the shaft rusted from setting in water

> As bad as it is, I'm reasonably sure I can fix it. /Assuming/, I can
> finish getting it apart (it is still soaking in my parts washer...) *I
> can repair the corroded, pitted main shaft with repair sleeves and
> replace the bearings.

Most of the parts are standard EXCEPT the worm gear and worm gear wheel.
The bearings are wheel bearings for cars. The seals are the same
although you might need to have the auto shop order double lip seals.
(forgot the name)

> Bottom line for me is that I will never buy, or recommend this brand
> of rotator again.

That key way on mine had me thinking.  There were two on the shaft. One
(shown) was straight for a ways and then headed off to the side.(not
clamped properly?)  The other side had a straight key way that they used.

> The manufacturing quality was pitiful.  But, when I think about it
> hard, I can not think of anything made in Italy that has been as
> advertised, except for the food and *Gina Lollobrigida.*   I think of
> high speed rail
> http://dutchreview.com/news/fyra-the-dutch-high-speed-rail-debacle/
> and Fiats.

Gina has really held up well.
> Of course, you are welcome to your own opinions.
> *

73

Roger (K8RI)

---