[TowerTalk] Stacking question - another data point

n1rr at comcast.net n1rr at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 15:18:03 EDT 2016

I think what some are missing is that the 40M numbers from Tim are based on HIS location in W.PA /OH border and his terrain.
The numbers for W1 are much lower. We see higher angle propagation to EU more often, hence the lower heights.
The 40M heights for your QTH will vary from either of these.
These differences can be read about in Dean Straw's All-The-Right-Angles.

A typical W1 has a 2L40 @ 90ft to 110ft and might switch to an EU wire beam at 50 to 70 feet

Another standard combination that yields good DX pattern without a high angle lobe is the Stacked 402-CD and the
height over flat ground would be 135ft/55ft a la N2RM.
This would be varied based on your terrain and angles to your target audiance. Again S=80ft

K1RX uses 130ft / 60ft S=70ft
K1EA/K1AR used a 3L40 at 110ft
KC1XX uses a 4L OWA at 140ft
K1LZ Monster-IR on 40 150ft / 80ft S=70ft

My terrain near Rhode Island with two 3L40's on 40 to 48 foot booms likes 150ft / 75ft S=75ft

-Charlie N1RR

>From Tim K3LR's website: 40 meters Station #1
4L/4L/4L = 12 element stacked array (15 meter booms- each antenna weighs 370 lbs.) full size OWA Yagi's.
One 4L at 80 meters / 262ft with a K7NV large Prop Pitch rotor,
one at 59 meters/ 193 ft on a K0XG Ring Rotor and
one at 36 meters/ 118 ft on a TIC ring rotor. S = 75ft
PiRod 24 inch face tower.
Switching allows operator choice of TOP only, MIDDLE only, LOWER only, all THREE, Top TWO, Bottom TWO or HIGH and LOW feed.

**Interlocked with** 40 meters Station #2

2L/2L = 4 element stacked array W6NL Moxon design (7 meters boom)
at 57 meters/187 ft (TIC ring rotor) and 37 meters/ 121 ft (TIC ring rotor) mounted on the 20 meter tower.
S = 66ft
Switching allows operator choice of TOP only, Both In Phase, BOTTOM only or Both Out of Phase.
RX Ant: Comtek ground mounted full size 4 square vertical array with 10,000 feet of radials. Used for receive only.