[TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Aug 30 17:09:56 EDT 2016

Wasn't there a company out there making a 6m Quad called the Killer Bee or
something?

Anyways, I also owned a Gem Quad once.  I overloaded it by adding WARC, 6m
and even 40m(with coils) to it.

For the 6m part, I extended the boom and made it a 4el Quagi.

I had a 5el yagi above it perhaps 15' higher and at no time (on Es, F2 or
AU, tropo or MS) did I ever see the Quagi louder than the yagi.

The only time the Quagi came into it's own was when it was really raining
(or snowing) hard and there

was S9 precip static on the slightly higher yagi.  At those times the Quagi
was either silent or at least

much quieter than the yagi.

Even though it was my own fault that the Gem Quad came down (ice storm and
antenna was very overloaded) I really believe it was just a matter of time.

 It had failed a number of times (fiberglas repairs all over the poor beast)
years before I got it)

It was exactly as Kelly (VE4XT) said about VE4VV's,. a real nice antenna in
its own right, but if you have high winds, or as we do here, ice , snow and
wind with vy low temps

then it's just a matter of time before it either needs spreader repairs, or
broken wires soldered or something of that nature.  BTDT, have the fiberglas
imbedded in my hands to prove it.

YMMV

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey