[TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 31 09:16:24 EDT 2016

The Quad vs Yagi debate is timeless.  I always thought there were a number
of things contributing to it:

-          Back in the day before computer optimized gain yagis, the quad
was a simpler way to get more gain on a given boom.  The full loop started
it off with something like 1.3dB gain over the dipole element and placing
evenly spaced elements gave good results for a 2 or 3 el quad.

-          The average height of a quad (I have to believe) is the center
point between the top wire and the bottom wire (or diamond tips) so the HFTA
analysis should be the same for a yagi vs a quad at a given height when
horizontal polarization is used.

-          However for the early years, low "towers" of 30 ft or so, if they
were fed for vertical polarization and happen to be in a good to excellent
ground conductivity area, the take off angle was likely better for long
"band opening" DX and impressed their owners.

Today, there is much better ability to get maximum gain out of a longer boom
yagi that is way easier to install and maintain and we understand the take
off angles much better.

I could be wrong on the above folklore, but that's my guess.

Ed  N1UR