[TowerTalk] Stepir Repair

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 5 12:20:05 EST 2016

That's a possibility. It's not a cover for DXing, though it *is* a pretty good location for it! We've had other problems that we haven't yet diagnosed. We use a Yeasu 2800DXA rotor. Earlier (before my name was associated with it) we suffered a shear bolt failure, which allowed the antenna to freewheel and destroy the cabling. The shear bolt was found to be too soft a grade, so it was replaced with a grade 8 bolt. Something has failed again, because it's freewheeling once more. According to the guys that set this up 10 y ago, everything is supposed to be over-engineered by a factor of 50%. When we get up there, we'll find out of the rotor has failed or if it's the shear bolt again. Either way, we need to solve that problem, too. It's at the top of a large building (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Weather_Center has a picture) and we're not sure what sort of shock loads the winds can create on the antennas at the top of the spire. When I've watched it on windy days, I've never seen anything out of the ordinary.
Kim N5OP