[TowerTalk] Anyone using 4O3A's Antenna Genius products?

Jorge Diez - CX6VM cx6vm.jorge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:56:56 EST 2016

very interesting Jim

I always wanted to change my arraysolution sixpack, that failed several
time when switching antennas

My actual setup is Elecraft K3 x 2, ArralSolution Bandmasters III x 2,
Sixpack

All switching is automatically, very nice

My idea is to replace just SixPack and keep my two Bandmasters III as
bandecoders

May I use the 4O3A Antenna Genius 8 x 2 Plus? Or I will need to change my
band decoders also?

73,
Jorge
CX6VM/CW5W

> On Wed,12/7/2016 8:47 AM, Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of replacing my existing switches with Ranko's Genius
>> product line.
>>

> More than a year ago, I replaced an Array Solutions 6x2 Six Pak with the
> older 4O3A unit with the goal of improving isolation between antennas in my
> station. I measured the isolation of both units on the bench when I made
> the change. The isolation of the original 4O3A 6X2 was 20 dB better than
> the Six Pak. When the newer 8x2 was announced, I arranged with the CO
> distributor to upgrade to the 8x2, and again measured both. The 8x2
> measured 25-30 dB better than the 4O3A 6x2, in the range of 98-105 dB,
> depending which pair of antennas were switched. So the total improvement
> from the Six Pak was about 50 dB!
>
> I do all isolation measurementswith unused outputs open-circuited,
> measuring from one radio port to the other, which I believe best simulates
> real world conditions. My test instrument is the DS8SAQ-designed VNWA 3e
> that is sold by SDR Kits in the UK.
>
> Quality of both 4O3A units is excellent, and the control circuitry works
> as described. I'm not doing anything fancy for switching -- the unit is
> simply driven by the line for line band decoder outputs of my two
> 5B4AGN-designed TXBPF bandpass filter sets.
>
> Don't expect to see that much isolation from one antenna to the other. In
> addition to the coupling between antennas, problems with coax and
> connectors can degrade it. After making the first change of switches, I
> bought a box of Amphenol 83-1SP connectors and a spool of Buryflex and
> replaced every piece of coax in my shack. That improved isolation by at
> least 10 dB.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Jorge
CX6VM/CW5W