[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection for Orion Rotor

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Dec 23 21:41:11 EST 2016

NOTE this is not a suggestion that protection is not needed as many can
attest.

Although I ground the coax at the top and bottom of the tower, I have
never used any form of lightning protection on the rotator cable, or
control box.

I've mentioned before that the tower was taking at least three
strikes(visually verified by neighbors).  Weather proofing and plating
was blown off a number of connectors, but no problems for the rotator
which was 10-15' down, inside the tower.

Rotator cable and coax ran together for about 175 feet.

73

Roger (K8RI)