[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Fwd: where the condensation comes from

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 1 10:59:22 EST 2016

Yes, stop the flow to reduce the ongoing collection of moisture, and a
corollary could be:

If it is hot and humid outside, you probably are running the AC which
lowers the wet bulb below outdoor air WB.

If it is cold outside, the RH will be lower inside a heated structure
but the wet bulb may be higher or lower than outside - condensation on
window frames is a sure sign that interior wet bulb is higher than
outside air temperature.

What matters most is the temperature of the buried conduit vs the wet
bulb of the air entering the conduit.

One end plugged stops the flow, and both ends plugged are usually not
hermetic so changing atmospheric pressure brings in moisture. (in trying
to make gas pressure seals, I found it surprising how much flow goes
down inside regular stranded wire).

So, plugging the outside end of the conduit and leaving the inside end
open is maybe sometimes possibly better than both ends plugged.

IMO, the only "sure thing" for a dry conduit is a low flow or slight
pressurization of very dry air.  Since both ends of my conduits are
outside, I use direct burial cables and don't worry about condensation.
In fact, a plus of condensation is it keeps the wire pulling lubricant
active, so removing cables/coax is much easier. Nice when I was
salvaging about a thousand feet of LDF4 and LDF5 from conduit with
condensation.

Grant KZ1W